The Bargello Museum, preserves a remarkable collection of sculpture, particular collections of “minor arts”, found inside quite an impressive building built around the middle of the thirteenth century for the Captain of the People, which later became the seat of the Mayor and the Council of Justice. The beautiful courtyard is decorated with the Mayor’s arms and the staircase was added in the mid 1300’s when one floor was added to the building.
In 1865 the building became a National Museum, and some of the most important Renaissance masterpieces were added, including works by Donatello, Luca della Robbia, Verrocchio, Michelangelo, Giambologna and Cellini. Among these are the panels of the “Concorso” dated 1401 of the Baptistery of Florence and the first piece of full-round nude sculpture.
Later, the museum was enriched with splendid collections of bronzes, majolica, waxes, enamels, medals, ivory, amber, tapestries, furniture, seals and textiles, deriving in part from the Medici collections and in part from private donations.
It is really worth a guided tour (with the person writing), because it is one of the less crowded museums of Florence, where there are no queues and where you never need to book for tickets (except for big groups).